Writer's Blog

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Stop, Drop, and Roll

I picked up Ben from preschool today, and he was very excited that a firefighter visited their class and talked to them about fire safety. He asked me, "momma, where is our safe meeting place?" I had to think a minute, as I wasn't clear on what he was asking. I said, "what do you mean Ben?" He said, if there's a fire where do we meet?" Yes, my 4 year old reminded me of how important it is to have a plan set in case there are unfortunate events that might occur, like a fire. Mike and I had talked often about what we would do in case of a fire, but we've never discussed it with the kids. Much of why we hadn't discussed it with them was due to their young age, but they are old enough now, at least Ben and Madison are, to understand a home, fire safety plan. Ben proceeded to explain to me what he had learned about, if there were ever a fire. I was pleased to know that he took in all of this helpful information. Over dinner, we discussed where our safe meeting place would be, what we would do if our clothes catch on fire, to which Madison shouted out, "you blow on them." Ben quickly explained, "no, you can't blow on them, cuz air will make the fire bigger, you cover your face and drop on the ground and roll around." I guess you don't really think about these things ever happening, so not much time is devoted to talking about it, but I feel much better now having discussed fire safety at length with the kids. I'm sure we will cover many more topics as they grow and learn. I continue to pray for wisdom in my parenting as I face new challenges that are sure to occur.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home