Writer's Blog

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Coffee filters...huh...who knew...

We went camping at St Croix St Park over the weekend. We had fun. The kids got to bring along their bikes and had a ton of bicycle-riding time. Madison and Ben are getting pretty darn good. Isaac still motors along on his trike, but man the boy can cruise! It’s pretty cute really; his little legs spin around on the pedals so fast, that he can keep up with the big kids. No kidding, he probably completes 5 revolutions with those pedals to their 1 on the “big” bikes.

This was the first camping trip of the year, and of course we forgot to pack a few items, like a first aid kit, which would have come in handy as all three kids took a spill on their bikes. Also missing were dishcloths, extra napkins, like I mentioned earlier a few band-aids would have been quite useful.

So when you’re without certain essentials, you make due with what you have. Looking around the camper, I needed to find something that could replace or at least come close to functioning as the “real” item needed.

What did I have…coffee filters. Yes, I found out that coffee filters are far more useful than merely filtering out your morning cup of joe. Indeed, the versatile coffee filter can function as a dishcloth, since they don’t break apart in water. It worked great for cleaning off all of the food bits left on the dishes that we did use. I also used it to dress a wound on Ben’s arm that he received after his bike slipped out from underneath him, which left his arm bloodied and bruised by the gravel road. I also found them to be very useful as napkins. We ran out of napkins when I used them to wash the dishes, which was a complete waste of time as the napkin literally disintegrated the moment it touched the water. Again it was the coffee filter to the rescue.

So on our next big adventure to some faraway campground, I will make sure that on our next camping trip we Spandes will be better prepared, but if for some reason we are without certain incidentals, I do know that we will always have an abundance of coffee filters as Mike and Dana are much more coherent when they’ve had their daily dose of java first thing in the morning. Happy trails! :o)

2 Comments:

  • I wouldn't waste my precious coffee filters on that. I heard leaves work well for that kind of thing.

    By Blogger Dana, at 9:50 PM  

  • Leaves that are shine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home