I'm buggin' out!
So I dig being a mom. Kids lives seem so much more uncluttered as compared to us adults. I know this to be true of my kids, they cause me to slow down my pace and really notice the small stuff. When we were camping, the boys found a couple caterpillars. Now, I don’t fancy myself a “bug” person, but I indulged them and took a huge interest in these rather, hairy, little things. I found some plastic cups and put some grass and sticks inside and then introduced little, hairy, caterpillar to his new home. I told the kids, “let’s see if these things will become butterflies or moths.” See… I knew I learned something from junior high science, ugh! So these little critters are now sitting on my kitchen counter, oh, and they did upgrade to a bigger and better residence. No more are the wimpy plastic cups; they are now living large in the glass mason jars. The kids love that as they can see them much more clearly now. If I weren’t a mom, I don’t think entomology would be a part of my day, but since I have 3 curious Georges in my life, I appreciate things that I once found “creepy.” Yes, bugs are “creepy.” Just the other day, the kids found one of those awful June bugs, you know they live in the ground and grab your fingers when you're working in the dirt, CREEPY! This is also the bug that will fly smack dab into your storm door and if not your storm door into you. Now, in the past I would've introduced Mr. June Bug to the bottom of my shoe, well not this time. The entomology vibe kicked into full gear! We (Madison, Ben, Isaac and myself) sat on the back steps and studied the heck out of this bug. We counted his legs, wings, pinchers (I’m sure there is a more scientific name); we looked to see if his body was smooth or rough. I even turned him over, no… not with my hand, ew gross… with a stick. And to our utter amazement, the bug had tiny, little hairs on his underbelly, (again, there is probably a more scientific analysis). Okay, so I’m not going to quit my day job to become a bug expert, I’ll leave that to the very brainy, “bug experts.” But, since I do have 3 very curious future naturalists on my hands I will think twice before I unwittingly send a bug to his/her bug grave, oh who am I kidding, before I smash the tar out of a creepy, crawly multi legged bug, I will consider if this bug could provide yet another “teachable” moment to three very information craved children. Yes, kids really do allow us to see past the complex and enjoy the simplicities of life.
Psalm 127:3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.
Psalm 127:3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.

1 Comments:
R.I.P. for "satan bug." The only inspecting I would do on that vile specimen is to make sure it was DEAD! That creature was straight out of hades.
By
Dana, at 3:46 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home